South Africa’s oldest stone- and steel bridges are still in use today.
Jan Joubert’s Gat Bridge
Jan Joubert’s Gat bridge is situated on the Franschhoek Mountain pass in the Cape Winelands in South Africa. Built in 1825 by Major William Cuthbert Holloway of the Royal Engineers to cross a deep ravine, it is the oldest stone bridge still in use anywhere in South Africa.
Jan Joubert’s Gat is named after a frontiersman that died here after an accident in which the “disselboom” (draught pole) of Jan’s wagon broke.
It was declared a National Monument in 1979.
The Lady Loch steel bridge
The Lady Loch steel bridge in Wellington was the first all steel bridge in the country and was constructed in 1853, the same year that Bain’s Kloof Pass was opened.
In 1853, the “Lady Loch” – a wooden bridge named after the Governor’s wife – was used for access across the Berg River between Cape Town and Paarl. In 1910 it was replaced with an iron bridge which became the first all steel bridge in South Africa. The original wooden pillars are now at the Wellington Museum.